Board index General Discussion Other Sports Down does silva!

Down does silva!

Discuss topics from the sports world here
Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:48 pm
cdans9328 User avatar
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Looked like he didn't care if he lost. After the fight he said he didn't want a rematch and doesn't want to fight for the title anymore? Is he bigger then The title now?

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:46 am
demez User avatar
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

They said in the press conference afterwards that there will be a rematch.

Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:33 pm
tazzmission User avatar
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It's hard to tell with Silva if he is being an arrogant jackass in the ring or if he is truly bored so he is giving the other fighter a handicap to make the fight more interesting for him. It was a lucky KO. Silva could have spotted Chris 4 rounds and still beat him if he was actually professional in the ring. Hopefully their dec fight will have a serious Silva who could Kao Chris in 20 seconds.

Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:47 pm
cdans9328 User avatar
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I don't know silva is 38 maybe he is just ready to do something else with his life.

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:32 am
Kurgen User avatar
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

cdans9328 wrote:
Looked like he didn't care if he lost. After the fight he said he didn't want a rematch and doesn't want to fight for the title anymore? Is he bigger then The title now?

I'm sorry, but to me, it looks like UFC is going the pro wrestling route. This isn't the first fight I've seen where there's a serious doubt about being predetermined. It didn't look like Silva was in it to win and the "lucky punch" ...well..I don't know, I've seen Silva take harder shots.
If boxing can fix fights, so can UFC, doesn't help that Dana White has had exposure to the WWE.

"Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." ----Mr Spock----

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:35 am
demez User avatar
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Silva's taken harder punches because he knows how to roll with the punch. MMA fighters are very predictable in their punching motion, it's typically left-right-left-right, etc. whereas boxers can many times strikes with the same hand 2-3 times in a row making them more unpredictable to defend. One of Silva's greatest abilities is his ability to take a punch and roll with it and make it seem like he's not even hurt. He moves with the punch thus taking the impact out of the punch. Weidman was able to beat him because his strikes were more unpredictable. During the knockout he hit him with a left, a right and then phased him with a right backhand that caught him off guard.

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:56 pm
Kurgen User avatar
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

There's no doubt he got hit, and that he went down, and you called it as it happened....but..
Here's the after fight interviews.

Notice how Silva keeps saying "Chris is the champion now". Almost as if he's done with the title, in a sense, disgusted with it. Then Dana White had to talk him into a rematch. I've seen the fight and it didn't look as if Silva was taking the fight seriously at all he was showboating and careless, almost as if on purpose. After the fight, he doesn't look hurt at all. His reaction seems almost as that of someone that's been told to take a dive and doesn't want to play the game anymore. One has to realize that the UFC isn't the WWE, and that some pretty heavy money gets placed on bets and the deal is that the underdog scores the most money. It happened in boxing and it can happen in the UFC. I guess I'm a skeptic because I don't see Weidman as champ material, maybe he got lucky but maybe someone had some heavy money on him.

"Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." ----Mr Spock----

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:07 pm
demez User avatar
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That division is full of scrubs though, he should easily hold onto the title for a year if his Silva win wasn't a fluke.

Silva just doesn't want the pressure anymore of being the best and being unbeatable. He wants to pick his fights and just enjoy what time he has left in the ring which is why I don't think he wants the rematch.

Return to Other Sports